Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Image Runner


Image Runner was developed by Peter Putnik for Atari ST/e computers with a hard drive and 2/4MB Ram. It allows the use of virtual floppy images (.ST / .MSA) to be run without the bother of actually creating a real disk. Think of it as having a virtual Gotek drive but without destroying your ST's case (I bet that gets me some comments!)

This is so easy to use: copy the disk images onto your hard drive and then configure GEM to use the Image Runner as an installed application for either file type. Double click to load a disk image into Ram, just as if you had a floppy in the drive. I must say Image Runner works rather well for hard drive users and it certainly allowed me to start enjoying Menu CDs again. However, it is software so my success rate has been varied - many worked and many sadly failed in some manner. In the demonstration video, I get nothing but a black screen for the last game so YMMV.

The download contains separate programs depending on your version of TOS - I used "IMGRF162.PRG" for my 4MB Atari STe with Ultrasatan. Give Image Runner a playtest whilst saving up the pennies for the hardware options...